A general assumption is not to target zero search volume keywords. If you are also following the same, you are missing a lot. Zero search volume keywords with the right search intent are actually a smart way to plan your SEO content strategy.
Superficially, it makes little to no sense to chase a keyword that no one is searching for. But do you know, out of all the keywords searched on the internet, 15 to 20% are brand new! That means they were in the category of zero search volume keywords. Before diving deep into this debate, let’s see what exactly a zero search volume keyword is.
What is a zero search volume keyword?
A target zero search volume keyword is a keyword or phrase that has no search volume or traffic in search engines, according to keyword research tools. This means that no one is actively searching for that particular keyword or phrase as of the time it was tested on the tool.
What are the benefits of targeting zero search volume keywords?
Despite their lack of search volume, targeting zero search volume keywords can benefit your SEO strategy in various ways.
- Less competition: Explanation of how targeting keywords with no search volume can help you rank higher in search results because there’s less competition.
- Niche topics: Discuss how zero search volume keywords can help you target niche topics and cater to specific audiences.
- Voice search optimization: Explanation of how targeting zero search volume keywords can improve your voice search optimization, as voice queries tend to be more conversational and specific.
- Long-tail keywords: Discussion of how zero search volume keywords can be a good source of long-tail keywords, which are more specific and can be easier to rank for.
How do you find zero search volume keywords?
Zero Volume keywords are generally long tail keywords and are very specific. Think of a keyword, and start adding words to it. As long it gets, the search volume of the keywords will drop, and the more specific it will become. You may find zero search volume keywords by following these steps:
- Keyword research tool: There are several keyword research tools available to assist you in locating keywords related to your field. Google Keyword Planner, Ahrefs, SEMrush, and Moz Keyword Explorer are a few examples. These tools can be leveraged to get information regarding the search volume of the given keyword. You can even filter the targeted area in accordance with your business. However, the information is not always correct and up to date.
- Analyzing related search terms: Zero search volume keywords are generally long-tail keywords. You have to analyze search terms related to your keyword. Analyze the audience of related search terms and understand the intent of your keyword. If you think your zero search volume keyword can be a problem solver to the audience of related search terms, you should go for it.
- Modifiers should be used: Modifiers can be used to find zero search volume keywords by expanding your keyword research to include long-tail variations that are less competitive and more specific. Prioritize the long-tail variations that are most relevant to your business and that have the potential to drive traffic to your website. Employ modifiers such as “best,” “cheapest,” “top,” “new,” “free,” and “reviews” to locate long-tail keywords with low search traffic.
- Examine the competition: Even if a keyword has zero search volume, it may still have competition. Check the search engine results pages (SERPs) to see if any websites are ranking for that keyword. If there are, think twice before targeting the keywords. By analyzing the suggested keywords, competition, and relevance, you can identify keywords that are overlooked by your competitors and create content that targets them.
- Consider user intent: Make sure the keyword you’re targeting is relevant to the content you’re creating and the user’s intent. It won’t be helpful to target if the keyword has zero search volume because it’s irrelevant to your niche or audience.
Tips for optimising zero search volume keywords
Optimising zero search volume keywords for SEO can be a bit challenging, but it’s still possible to benefit from them
- Optimise for related keywords: Explanation of how optimizing for related keywords can help your zero search volume keywords rank higher.
- Create high-quality content: Discuss how creating high-quality content can help your zero search volume keywords gain visibility and attract backlinks.
- Leverage social media: This explains how leveraging social media can help your zero-search volume keywords gain traction and attract more traffic to your site.
It’s important to note that while targeting zero search volume keywords can be beneficial, it should not be the only focus of your SEO strategy. You should also target keywords with higher search volume relevant to your business to maximize your visibility and reach a wider audience.
Related Post: 7 Proven Tips for Successful Local SEO